* Built in the early 1950's
* Seating capacity for over 2,000
* Once home to a New York Yankees minor league team (Nebraska State League)
* Currently home to the Lopers and Kearney's
American Legion program
* Natural Grass outfield; FieldTurf infield (will be all FieldTurf by the fall of 2011)
* Dimensions (355 Left, 395 Center, 325 Right)
* Building behind the home dugout includes UNK player locker rooms and indoor hitting cages
* In 2009, a new facility -- also located down the third base/right field line -- was built exclusively for UNK players that features an additional indoor practice area, weight room, equipment room (complete with washer/dryer & coaches shower) and the Jiede Baseball Conference Center (players lounge, study area and coaches offices)
* Also in 2009, a new outfield fence was installed, rising to 14 feet in height in certain areas, along with 400 seats that are directly behind home plate
Click Below for Larger Image
Memorial Field Indoor Hitting Facility
In 2008, an indoor facility was completed at Memorial Field that houses in an indoor practice area, offices for the UNK coaching staff, players lounge and players learning center.
The building allows the Lopers and Kearney's Legion and Little League teams to practice indoors when the weather is cold. The hitting facility can be configured for three or six batting cages or a dozen cubicles for individual practice sessions.
A small building next door includes the Loper locker rooms, weight room and an additional indoor practice area.
"From a Division II standpoint, it gives us one of the top 15 facilities in the nation," UNK head coach Damon Day told the Kearney Hub. "Very few communities have this type of community-based place to hit. From 6 years old to college age, you're not going to get a better place to practice baseball."
UNK players can work out and get cleaned up before/after practice in the building.
"We don't have to run around to five different buildings to get things done. We can lift, hit, shower and come right down here into study hall," Day said.
In January 2009, Luke Hochevar and outfielder Mitch Maier of the Kansas City Royals were in Kearney for the Royals Fan Caravan and got to workout in the then-new facility.
"We didn't have anything like this when I was in school," said Maier, who was an All-American at Division I Toledo. Hochevar, who played at Tennessee and was the Royals No. 1 pick, agreed.
"It's nice to have, especially in a cold-weather climate where most teams can't get outside," Hochevar said. "It's nice for the players here to have so they can come in and get their work in when they need to, and its definitely nice for us to be able to get our work in."
The complex was funded by private donations.
To see additional pictures of the facility, click HERE and then choose baseball.
Campus Map ()
UNK Address: 905 West 25th Street, Kearney, NE 68849
UNK Campus Driving Directions
From Interstate 80: Take Exit 272, Kearney. Turn onto NE-44 North/North 2nd Avenue and drive 2.3 miles. Turn left onto U.S. Highway 30/West 25th Street and drive 0.5 miles until you arrive at the UNK campus.
Continue on U.S. Highway 30/West 24th Street until you reach the west edge of campus. Turn right into the parking lot between the College of Business and Technology West Center building and the softball fields. Parking for the Frank House is located at the north end of this lot.